What We Do
At Dundas Optometry we are dedicated to providing the best quality eye care. Our optometrists perform comprehensive visual and ocular health testing for patients of all ages, from infants to seniors.
We take the time to assess the individual needs of every patient and provide personalized recommendations, which could include prescription eyewear, medication, vision therapy, or referrals to specialists.
Our comprehensive eye examinations make use of the most up-to-date technology and expertise and include:
- Pretesting (eye measurements, intraocular pressure, and digital retinal imaging)
- Complete eye and general health history, including family history
- Vision, binocularity and refraction assessments
- Ocular health assessment, which may include pupil dilation and digital retinal photography
- Contact lens assessment (if necessary)
OCT scan of eye
In some cases, our optometrists will recommend further testing to assess for ocular diseases such as glaucoma or macular degeneration. The following tests are performed in our office by our fully-trained optometric assistants and the results interpreted by your optometrist.
- Visual field testing checked the function and health of the optic nerves, which transmit visual information to the brain to be processed. These findings can be beneficial in diagnosing both visual and certain systemic diseases.
- Ocular Coherence Tomography (OCT) is a specialized imaging method where light waves are reflected off the surface of the retina to provide detailed cross-sectional and 3D images. These microscopic images are extremely useful in the diagnosis and monitoring of many ocular diseases.
Digital retinal image
Our clinic is equipped to handle urgent eye care needs. In most cases we will see our patients within 24 hours. Our optometrists are trained to diagnose, treat, and manage urgent issues and will work closely with colleagues in family medicine and ophthalmology if further management is required.
contact us right away if you have
- Sudden loss of vision or blurred vision
- Redness, pain, or discharge from the eye
- Light sensitivity
- Sudden onset flashes, floaters, or double vision
- Foreign body in the eye
Children (age 0-19) are covered by OHIP for one full eye examination per year plus any partial examinations as required. We recommend a child's first eye exam at age 6-9 months followed by one at age 3 and once a year thereafter.*
Seniors (age 65+) are covered by OHIP for one full eye examination per year plus any partial examinations as required. We recommend annual eye examinations for seniors.*
Adults (age 20-64) with certain health conditions (eg. diabetes, glaucoma, cataracts) are covered by OHIP for one full eye examination per year. We recommend healthy adults have a full eye examination once every two years.*
*Unless otherwise instructed by your optometrist.
Contact lenses are a great option for many of our patients. Lens technology is always improving and we keep up to date on all developments. For our longtime lens wearers, we will review your lens habits during your appointment and suggest new products and offer trials that may improve your wearing experience. New wearers will be fitted by your optometrist to ensure your new lenses are safe and effective and will be fully trained in proper insertion, removal and troubleshooting by our experienced staff.
We are committed to providing excellent quality products at competitive prices, including manufacturer rebates whenever possible. We offer our patients the convenience of purchasing your contact lenses through our office in person, over the phone or through our online ordering system.
Our extensive eyewear boutique has hundreds of high-quality, stylish frames with options for every age and budget. In addition to prescription eyewear, we have a wide selection of fashionable sunglasses, safety glasses, sports goggles and swimwear, all of which can be sent to the lab to be made with your prescription. Over-the-counter readers, glasses cleaner and other accessories are also available.
Our experienced staff will help you find the perfect lens and frame for your visual needs.